Our Commitment to Privacy
The privacy of our customers is of utmost importance to Australian Motoring Services Pty Ltd ABN 60 100 488 613 (“AMS”).
Types of Personal Information we collect
The types of personal information we collect will vary depending on your dealings with the AMS Group including, if you are a customer of AMS, the services and benefits (or a request or inquiry you make in relation to such services and benefits) we (or our agents, contractors and third parties) provide to you.
- we may collect information about you from vehicle manufacturers where we need this information in order to service and administer a national roadside assistance program – this information may include your name, address, registration number and vehicle identification number (VIN); and
- if you use a Club membership card to claim a benefit, we may collect membership numbers and transaction information from program partners who participate in the Show Your Card & Save (SYC&S) program.
If you deal with us in some other capacity (for example, as a supplier or job applicant), we may collect your name, contact details and any other information you choose to provide to us.
If we are not able to collect your personal information, we may not be able to provide you with our services or benefits or do business with you or the organisation with which you are connected.
How we collect your information
In some cases, we will collect information from you directly such as when you contact us via telephone or electronic means such as the Internet or email.
- we may need to collect your personal information to answer an enquiry you make or respond to a complaint made by you in respect of roadside assistance services
However, given the nature of our business, in most cases we collect the personal information of our customers through third parties such as:
- Our related companies;
- The Australian Motoring Clubs;
- Our business partners who participate in the National Show your Card & Save program;
- Car dealers and manufacturers who provide vehicle owners nomination data as part of a roadside assistance program and Club membership offers in the sale of vehicles; and
- Data washing service providers.
Where we collect personal information through third parties, we try to make sure that those third parties inform you of the fact that they will pass your information onto AMS.
In limited circumstances we may receive information where we (or the third party passing the information onto us) have not specifically asked you for it. It may be that someone else has provided your information (for example, if you have received roadside assistance as a gift). In these circumstances, we will determine whether it is necessary for us to collect that information.
How we use and disclose Personal Information
We may use and disclose your personal information for a variety of purposes in connection with the conduct of our business and the servicing of our customers. For example, if you are a customer, we may use your personal information to develop processes and services to better meet your needs.
We may provide your personal information to our agents, contractors or related companies for the purposes of, or in connection, with the supply of services to you.
- we may need to disclose your information to the Australian Motoring Clubs so they can provide roadside assistance services to you; or
- if you fill out an online form on the Assist Australia website and/ or Show Your Card and Save (“SYC&S”) website, AMS Group may need to disclose your information to our business partners and contracted service providers in order to provide you with the information you request.
Some examples of disclosures though our online forms are:
- Roadside Assistance: When you submit an Assist Australia online enquiry form, your information may be disclosed to AMS Group contracted service providers to be actioned;
- SYC&S: When you submit an online enquiry form, your information may be disclosed to AMS Group contracted service providers to be actioned.
Contractors and Agents
AMS Group may contract with third parties to provide services for us.
- contractors to provide emergency roadside assistance and towing services to vehicle owners under a national assistance program;
- printing and mail houses who print and distribute correspondence to you; and
- data washing service providers.
In all circumstances where AMS Group contracts with third parties to provide services, we take reasonable steps to protect the privacy of any information disclosed to those parties.
Cross-border Disclosure of personal information
Some of our service providers are located overseas. As a result, personal information collected and held by the AMS Group may be transferred overseas. In particular, we use service providers located overseas to host our customer relationship management (“CRM”) system.
Generally it is not possible for us to do business with you unless we have identified you. Wherever it is lawful and practicable to do so, we may offer you the opportunity to deal with us anonymously. For example, when you are browsing our websites.
Ensuring your personal information is up-to-date
We use technology, documented employee procedures and internal monitoring to help ensure that your information is accurate and up-to-date. In addition, we require high standards of quality from vehicle manufacturers and others who provide us with nomination data about vehicle owners.
Aftermarket Renewal Programs
Where we have been contracted by a car manufacturer to provide roadside assistance to you as part of their roadside assistance program, we may disclose your personal information to them to enable them to send renewal and other offers to you.
Information collected about you online
The only personal information the AMS Group collects from you online, either via the AMS Group internet sites or through e-mail transmission is personal information that you choose to submit to us in this manner.
A cookie is a piece of data that an internet site can send to your browser, which may then be stored on your computer. Cookies generally allow the internet site you are browsing to interact more efficiently with your computer.
Usually you can set your browser to notify you before you receive a cookie so that you can decide whether to accept it, however sometimes not accepting a cookie may affect your use of an internet site.
Location – Based Services
Customers of Assist Australia, the Australian Motoring Clubs, our partners and licensees may collect, monitor, store, use and share location data, including the real-time geographic location of your mobile device. This location data may be used by our customers, partners and licensees to provide and improve location based features and services.
Sharing non-personal information
AMS may share non-personal, aggregate, or summary information about you with our business partners or other third parties. For example, we might provide a count of our roadside assistance users from a particular area code.
Storage and Security of your Personal Information
We store personal information in a combination of secure computer storage facilities and paper-based files and other records. In doing so, we have taken numerous steps to protect your personal information from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Additionally, we take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information when we no longer need it.
The Privacy Officer
Australian Motoring Services Pty Ltd
459 Little Collins Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Once we have received your complaint, we will investigate and respond to you in writing within 30 working days.
If you are unhappy with the response from AMS, you can direct your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
Phone: 1300 363 992
Last Updated: 1 May 2019